Dies ist eine statische Kopie unseres alten Forums. Es sind keine Interaktionen möglich.
This is a static copy of our old forum. Interactions are not possible.

Phill

Trainee

• "Phill" is male
  • "Phill" started this thread

Date of registration: May 30th 2006

Friday, August 18th 2006, 4:38am

How Many Classes Do I Take Each Semester

For the MSc, you have to have 120 credit points. 30 of these points are for the Mastersarbeit.

At what point am I expected to start my Mastersarbeit?

Will I spread the 90 course credits over four years and work on my Mastersarbeit at the same time?

Or will I get the course work done in 3 semesters, then spend the fourth writing my Mastersarbeit?

What is the average number of courses that students take?

Thanks!

kommi

Senior Fachschaft

• "kommi" is male

Date of registration: Feb 7th 2003

Friday, August 18th 2006, 7:40am

Hi Phill,

most of us spread the 90 credit points for the courses over the first three semesters. It´s about 7 or 8 courses each semester.

You are not allowed to start with your master thesis until you have collected at least 75 credit points. So normally the thesis is written in the 4th semester.
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Phill

Trainee

• "Phill" is male

Friday, August 18th 2006, 8:19am

That's what I was thinking, but that sounds like a lot of classes. Here, a graduate student would take maybe 3 courses. I guess the amount of content per class is greater.

Anyway, is there any kind of recommended mixture of Vorlesungen and Seminars?

I really don't look forward to the Seminars, because of the requirement for presenting a topic. I'd prefer to have a semester to get used to the language and to take an upper level German course for practice, but it seems like taking only Vorlesungen would be difficult--although I plan on taking KI:1 which is a lower level course and Compiler Construction, which I already have some experience with, so they should be pretty easy... And I'm thinking about taking an English class :)

Any recommendations?

• "Joachim" is male

Date of registration: Dec 11th 2001

Occupation: Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter (Forschungszentrum L3S, TU Braunschweig)

Friday, August 18th 2006, 8:42am

Quoted

Original von Phill
Anyway, is there any kind of recommended mixture of Vorlesungen and Seminars?

I really don't look forward to the Seminars, because of the requirement for presenting a topic. I'd prefer to have a semester to get used to the language and to take an upper level German course for practice, but it seems like taking only Vorlesungen would be difficult--although I plan on taking KI:1 which is a lower level course and Compiler Construction, which I already have some experience with, so they should be pretty easy... And I'm thinking about taking an English class :)
visit
Any recommendations?
Do not take an English class. Such a course won't look good on your master's certificate ...

In general, there is no recommendation what courses to take in the master's program. My personal recommendation is that you choose two or (at most) three fields ("Fächer") of your interest in that you take (nearly) every course possible. This will give your studies a clear direction. Additionally I can recommend you to make a complete list of courses you want take in the whole master's program before you start. This avoids "design errors". Also you should have a look at the requirements stated in the Prüfungsordnung and Studienordnung, see http://www.uni-hannover.de/de/studium/st…atik/ordnungen/ for details.
The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers.
Richard Hamming, 1962

Phill

Trainee

• "Phill" is male

Friday, August 18th 2006, 8:53am

Quoted

Original von Joachim
Do not take an English class. Such a course won't look good on your master's certificate ...

In general, there is no recommendation what courses to take in the master's program. My personal recommendation is that you choose two or (at most) three fields ("Fächer") of your interest in that you take (nearly) every course possible. This will give your studies a clear direction. Additionally I can recommend you to make a complete list of courses you want take in the whole master's program before you start. This avoids "design errors". Also you should have a look at the requirements stated in the Prüfungsordnung and Studienordnung, see http://www.uni-hannover.de/de/studium/st…atik/ordnungen/ for details.

yeah, I've planned out a few areas of concentration, but I'm mainly concerned with this first semester. I just don't know if I want to have to give 3-4 presentations my first semester. I know it's not that bad, but I just don't feel too great about it.

How terrible would a presentation have to be to cause someone to fail a seminar?

• "Joachim" is male

Occupation: Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter (Forschungszentrum L3S, TU Braunschweig)

Friday, August 18th 2006, 9:09am

Quoted

Original von Phill
yeah, I've planned out a few areas of concentration, but I'm mainly concerned with this first semester. I just don't know if I want to have to give 3-4 presentations my first semester. I know it's not that bad, but I just don't feel too great about it.
Then take just a single seminar in the first semester to get accustomed to it.

Quoted

How terrible would a presentation have to be to cause someone to fail a seminar?
I've seen a lot of really painful presentations in the last years but most of the presenters passed the course. :)

You should be well prepared when giving the presentation and able to ask questions about the topic. Then nobody will complain about it.

I think that some professors really would like to have an English presentation in their seminar. You should ask about that. Nearly every scientific publication in computer science is written in English today.
Richard Hamming, 1962

Phill

Trainee

• "Phill" is male

Friday, August 18th 2006, 9:24am

Quoted

Original von Joachim

Quoted

Original von Phill
Then take just a single seminar in the first semester to get accustomed to it.

Quoted

I've seen a lot of really painful presentations in the last years but most of the presenters passed the course. :)

You should be well prepared when giving the presentation and able to ask questions about the topic. Then nobody will complain about it.

I think that some professors really would like to have an English presentation in their seminar. You should ask about that. Nearly every scientific publication in computer science is written in English today.

You think they might let me present in English? That would be awesome. I could do 8 Seminars this semester if it can be English. :) I'll ask about that soon.

One more question...

I've been trying to plan my schedule for this semester, but only a couple of courses have updated information about the courses, so I can't really plan anything yet. When do class times and such usually get updated?

If I remember how things were when I was an Austauschstudent at Regensburg, in Germany you normally don't register until the beginning of the semester, but here, we schedule our courses at the end of the previous semester, so I feel like I need to have a schedule! I know I don't, but it just doesn't feel right without it.

• "Joachim" is male

Friday, August 18th 2006, 9:44am

Quoted

Original von Phill
I've been trying to plan my schedule for this semester, but only a couple of courses have updated information about the courses, so I can't really plan anything yet. When do class times and such usually get updated?
Usually the Vorlesungsverzeichnis gets published 2–4 weeks before the first day of each semester. You will find it here then.
Richard Hamming, 1962

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Joachim" (Aug 18th 2006, 9:44am)

Phill

Trainee

• "Phill" is male

Friday, August 18th 2006, 9:49am

Thanks for the help!

Benjamin

Segelnder Alter Hase

• "Benjamin" is male

Date of registration: Oct 1st 2002

Friday, August 18th 2006, 10:29am

Quoted

Original von Phill
I'd prefer to have a semester to get used to the language and to take an upper level German course for practice, but it seems like taking only Vorlesungen would be difficult.

Why you don't practice here? Man muss nicht immer Kurse belegen um etwas zu lernen. Vorallem der Kontakt zu deutschsprachigen wird mehr helfen.
Aber zurück zum Thema: Es ist auch von Vorteil, Seminare und Projekte über alle Semester zu verteilen. So vermindert man ein wenig die Anzahl der Prüfungen pro Semester, denn die Prüfungen der Vorlesungen sind in der vorlesungsfreien Zeit, während die Arbeit für Seminare und Projekte in der Vorlesungszeit liegt. Eine Mischung von Vorlesungen und den anderen Dingen ist somit die optimale Lastverteilung über das Semester.

Quoted

Original von Phill

Präsentationsstil et cetera sind zum Glück sprachunabhängig. Somit solltest Du damit keine Probleme haben? Wenn man sich einmal nicht sofort und optimal ausdrücken kann, wird einem daraus wohl auch kein Strick gedreht. Die Dozenten haben ja auch Verständnis. Wichtiger ist zu zeigen, dass man das Thema verstanden hat und Ahnung davon hat, also die Eigenleistung sichtbar ist.
Es gibt nur eine bessere Sache als auf dem Wasser zu sein: Noch mehr auf dem Wasser sein.

Phill

Trainee

• "Phill" is male

Friday, August 18th 2006, 11:13pm

Quoted

Original von metalhen

Quoted

Original von Phill
I'd prefer to have a semester to get used to the language and to take an upper level German course for practice, but it seems like taking only Vorlesungen would be difficult.

Why you don't practice here? Man muss nicht immer Kurse belegen um etwas zu lernen. Vorallem der Kontakt zu deutschsprachigen wird mehr helfen.

Das mache ich ziemlich oft. Wenn es aber eine wichtige Frage ist, würde ich lieber Englisch benutzen, so dass ich 100% richtig verstehen kann. Auch kann ich hier mein sprachliches Deutsch leider nicht üben. Ab 18.9 werde ich in Deutschland sein, und dann wird es anders sein.